When your computer gives you a tough time and you think of using a new PC, the biggest confusion that you may face is how you would transfer the paid programs from your current PC to the new one. And, Microsoft Office is not an exception especially when you need to use it regularly on another device. Fortunately, office.com/setup allows you to move your Office products from one computer to another quite easily.
Although there are several ways to achieve this, here we are going to discuss the standard way of transferring your Microsoft Office license from one computer to another. Before you begin, there are a few things that you need to keep handy so that you do not face any challenges during the transfer process. Primarily, you should have your Microsoft account login details handy. In addition to that, if you have activated the subscription using the Microsoft Office product key, then you shall need that too. However, in most cases, the product key is not required. In case you have installed it through a disk/file that would also be required.
Please note: the process given below shall not be applicable to those products that are not subscription-based such as Microsoft 365.
Let us uncover the transfer process now
- First thing first, you should uninstall Office setup from the exiting device
- Please ensure that you delete the related files of Office as well
- Then, you should go ahead and power on your new computer
- Further, connect it with a high-speed internet connection
- Go to office.com/setup and install Office on this device
- Then, you should open the installed file and “Run/Save” it on your PC
- Afterward, open the file by double-tapping on it
- When asked, enter your Microsoft login details
- Enter the 25-digit long activation code in the space
- Accept the End User License Agreement
That’s how you transfer or move your subscribed Office program from one device to another.
Today we have seen how easy it was to transfer your license from one PC to another. However, if you do not own the product key or the Microsoft account details, then you will not be able to complete the process. Also, you should renew your subscription via office.com/setup beforehand in case you find out that it is expiring soon.